INSERT ALTERNATIVE TEXT FOR YOUR HEADER IMAGE HERE

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Overcoming the ZUMBACYCLING Shuffle...

Ladies...

Seriously... Zumba seems like a blast and I am sure it IS. Cycling seems great too... I LOVE my handcycle. BUT... doing it every.single.day??? And expect to see results?? It is NOT happening... sorry to burst your bubble. Cardio is good for you... it is needed... but try to mix in some serious weight training in there. Challenge yoruself at least 2-3 times a week and get it done! You will see the difference, feel the difference and you won't regret it!! You don't believe me... read more from Rachel Crosgrove... her book...



Click HERE to go to her blog. 

I love this story that she shares on her blog...

On one of our trips, I got up early to head down to the gym to workout. Gym opened at 6am. I arrived at about 6:10am and the treadmills were all taken(not that I wanted one but it goes with my story). This gym was very well equipped for a hotel gym. Every possible fixed machine you could imagine PLUS a full set of free weights up to 75 pounds(plenty) and a smith machine, swiss balls, medicine balls, a nice pulley station- lots of good stuff to get a good work out in. Yet, everyone was trudging along on the treadmills doing the treadmill shuffle, staring at TV’s.

I went over to the weight training area did a warm up of lunges, stretches and movement prep and then grabbed the 30 pound dumbbells and started with a set of lunges. During my workout only one woman ventured over to the free weights after she finished her hour on the treadmill and she grabbed the 5’s and this was her routine-

She started with bicep curls, then some strange thing where she put the weights behind her and pulsed for 20 reps (I imagine she thought it was for toning her triceps), then overhead presses, then shoulder rolls, then lateral raises, then bicep curls AGAIN but this time hammer curls and then finished with her arms behind her again but this time bending her elbows(probably thought she was working her triceps again) all without setting the weights down.

She proceeded to set the pink 5 pounders down and hit the locker room for a shower. That was it- that was her strength training. An hour on the treadmill and then that?

Sometimes, it is good for me to get outside of my bubble at our gym, where all of our female clients lift weights, challenge themselves and the priority workout for them is their strength training. They all do “bang for your buck” exercises and no woman at our gym spends more than 20 minutes on a treadmill (most don’t spend any time on a treadmill.) We have two treadmills that are empty most of the time. All of our female clients use effective exercises such as real push ups to get the toned, defined arms I have a feeling that woman was after.



0 comments:

Post a Comment